Friday, March 27, 2009

Happy Birthday Baby Boy Cow

I went out with Anna today to check cows and we found this 2 year old mother off by herself.  That is the first sign of "it's time" for her.  Yup, sure enough she was in labor and having contractions.  I clocked them and she was moving along pretty fast.  About every 2 minutes she would have a big pain.  We didn't get to close at first, then when we knew she was down then we got closer so that she didn't get nervous.
After a couple really good moo's and about 5 minutes of pushing out comes the little guy.  
Mom got up after about 3 minutes and started her duty of cleaning and licking her new son.  She didn't like us so close so we stepped back and gave her some space.
Growing up I remember watching this experience a lot and it was always fun to watch.  It is a part of life on the farm.  I remember being the mid wife helper with Craig in the pig barn with many of the little oinkers.  We had cats, dogs, cows, pigs, chickens, horses and what ever else that gave birth we had it.  I guess the circle of life starts here today.  

No comments: